Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Here we go again

Since it has been over a year... I am just going to start over!

I'm Amanda, and I am mother.  Sometimes I feel that is all I am... though I am also a lover of Jesus, laundry master, personal chef, house cleaner, home school teacher, wife, daughter and friend (in that order)... the list can go on:)  I have four absolutely beautiful daughters, 2 biological, and 2 foster that are here for the long haul.  First came Grace, 7 months after our marriage, no, she was not a preemie, not something I am proud of, but that "accident" turned out to be the biggest blessing that I could possibly imagine.  I married my best friend faster than we thought, which only turned out to be awesome:)  Marriage was already on the table... this just accelerated it.  Grace will be 3 in a month and has absolutely melted our hearts from day 1.  She is the best cuddler, singer, helper and has such a happy disposition... She is also one of most stubborn little ones that I have ever seen... Takes after both Stephen and I on that one.

Here she is enjoying a chocolate cupcake:)

 When Grace was just a little over 1, we got pregnant, when I was 4 months pregnant, we decided to take on twins... from another country... that were 12.. spoke little English... hated American food... had no idea of manners.... were abused... and generally showed no respect for adults (why should they, they were beaten by every adult that they were close too.)     Bring into the picture Ganga and Jamuna... After many, many hours of prayer we decided to take them on as our own.  It was clear to us God wanted us to do it, and He pretty much had to make it seamless, or else we would back down... and He did.  More info is discussed in my prior entries.   They are now almost 14, and exemplifying the teenage attitude.  They love being a part of our family, love being big sisters to the two little ones, and for the first time in their life, feel safe.  Ganga is more of the introvert, Jamuna very much the extrovert.  Both love to challenge us on everything we ask and say  (what teenager doesn't) They have not lost their love for Bollywood movies, and enjoy dancing and dancing and dancing to songs in the movies.  (*did you know that EVERY Bollywood movie is a musical?  Oy vay!)  So, we just put them in a Bollywood dance class, and they totally are all about it.   They struggle with school because they had received no eduaction prior to coming to the US, so basic math skills are seriously lacking.... but they can read now!  A year ago that was not true! It is at a beginning level, but still, they are not asking us what every single word is in every single sentence on every single page.    They are great girls that have gone through sooooooooooo much, more than anyone of us can imagine, they are relatively adjusted (given the circumstance) and have huge hearts, both want to go to college then go help little kids...

Just the three enjoying a day at the beach.

5 months after the arrival of twins, we were blessed with the birth of Ms Charlotte Joy.  Like her older sister, she is a cuddler, and for the most part a happy baby... We really struggled with her tummy from the get go... After months of trial and error, and sleepless nights, we found that while breastfeeding I could not have any dairy, potatoes, beans or fried food.... Then I had a problem producing enough milk for her, which could have been due to stress... or the pharmacy totally messing up my birth control dosage.. don't even get me started...   She is now 10 months, and Oh I can't imagine my life without her, she is the happiest little munchkin on the planet, and loves to join in on the tickling, rough-housing and singing that goes on in this house.  She also loves to sleep with Mommy and Daddy after the 2 am wake-up...

Here she is at 9 months... Did I mention that she has more hair than most 2 year olds?


Over all the girls are all great...

Life can get overwhelming.  All together the noise that comes from the kids + Bollywood music + Caliou + crying + screaming (whether happy are angry) + the older girls both suffer from hearing loss in both their ears, so they talk at a higher decibel than normal..... can make me go into convulsions, or hide in my closet in the fetal position  (that only happened once:) )   I am not used to the noise, the constant questions... I swear the older girls just like to hear themselves talk, they have even said they do not like the sound of silence, so they do everything in their power to never have it silent!  Me, I come from being pretty much an only child (my sisters are 8+ years older than me, and moved out of our house when I was young)  It was just my mom and I for the most part, my dad traveled most of the time... Silence was golden, not that we didn't talk, we did, but it was just 2 of us!
 Stephen and I have VERY little time to ourselves... we had 4 kids in 2 years, and really go to bed at night sometimes just barely saying more than sentences to each-other.  If we did not have the help of my dear God parents Jack and Monica Zweers, we would never see each other.  They give us date nights.... As well as when any family comes to visit, they know that they are welcome to stay, but have to provide a date night....  Stephen and I are rock solid, we make the time count, we know we love each-other and we really work hard to make sure the other feels appreciated.
I love my husband, not only is he the best father my girls could have... he is funny, compassionate, understanding, checks me so I don't go off the deep end.  Most of all, he is a man of God, all decisions for our family comes through prayer... whether it be together, or alone, we pray....    We see God bless us in every aspect of our lives... The twins, could have so many issues, but don't have major ones (right now)  Whenever we are wondering how we are going to eat this pay period...we are able to sell something on Craigslist, or his boss saw that he is doing a great job and gave him a little bonus.  Random gifts of formula from my mom, a really good coupon to get Diapers...Stephen getting laid off and finding a new job the next day, a better job, one he actually likes!!  God is always watching out for us, I am learning not to doubt, as long as we are living for Him, and not for ourselves..

2 comments:

  1. Yayyyy! You're back! Welcome back to the blogosphere. I look forward to everything you are going to say. Love it! Yay! 8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, you're wonderful. I'm so glad I know you!

    ReplyDelete