Friday, April 16, 2010

What did you find on my daughter?!?!

**Warning about to describe a lot of female anatomy in detail*****
We went to Gracie's 9 month check-up the other day and everything seemed great until she took Gracie's diaper off... She did a thorough check of her parts "down there" and noticed there was an extra piece of skin that kinda looks like a little tab or something. When she looked further she realized that her labia is fused together. That's right, you read correctly, her LABIA IS FUSED TOGETHER!!""" What the heck!? My poor baby. So pretty much that means for those of you who never took anatomy (like me) or never really knew what all of our own parts are called, the "hole" that makes a woman a woman is fused together. So, if we were to find this out later... say when she started her period (which is crazy to think that far in the future) there would be no place for her blood to come out, not to mention sex... which I really don't want to think about!!! Ok, so what happens now? My doctor prescribed premorin, which is an estrogen cream that is usually used on menopausal women (hence the pharmacist was asking me a lot of questions on why a 9 month old would need this).... I got the cream and was reading the side effects cancer this, cancer that, increased breast size (yes in infants as well) vaginal bleeding... and the list goes on. I DO NOT WANT TO PUT THIS ON MY CHILD!! So I called my doctor after I read all this and expressed my concerns, and she said other than surgery, this is the only way to help her open that hole, they get such a small amount of the cream that the side effects aren't as strong and that she would put it on her child. That made me feel better, but not all the way. I "googled" this condition as well which I don't really suggest because you will always get the worst case scenario whenever you look up something.... which I did.... This could mean more than just fused skin... it could mean hormone deficiencies, lack of all female organs and so on. Are you kidding me!?
Right now I am supposed to apply this cream after every bath while spreading her labia... sounds fun. Hopefully it should clear up, but it needs to be checked regularly because this condition usually come backs... great.
This could cause bladder infections as well as a whole host of other infections as well. How did I not catch this??? I guess I really don't look all the much at her down there. I wipe well, make sure everything is out, then just put the diaper on, trusting she has all her parts. In reality, even when my doctor showed me, looking at it, I still wouldn't have said "Oh yeah, something is terribly wrong" So we have another appointment in 6 weeks, and we will see from there. Hopefully this is not too much to put on a blog, I am honestly just scared and needed to get this all out!

4 comments:

  1. Awww...Poor Gracie!

    Amanda, I have known a few moms who've had girls with this condition. It's pretty common but not discussed all that often. Both girl's issues worked out and I know one mom used the cream and it really helped. After it separated, I know she used K-T Jelly in that area daily to keep it from fusing together. Also, no bubble baths and use the mildest soap you can find. Hope she heals soon and you can feel relieved. I'm sure she'll be just fine.

    Also, I heard from one mom that as soon as the girls start producing their own Estrogen during puberty that helps with the opening as well.

    :)

    xoxo
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks gina!! makes me feel better

    ReplyDelete
  3. hugs! and prayers! and I will be looking closely during K's next diaper change!

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously! It makes us all want to double check!

    ReplyDelete